Thursday, March 24, 2011

Life Enjoyment and Kingdom Expansion

So, I have joined the blogging world. Not something I would have ever seen myself doing. I am not one of many words. Just ask any of my family members the last time they received a hand written note from me. It just doesn't happen. However, lately I have been overwhelmed with the desire to write and share things the Lord has been teaching me. I guess this is just one of the many ways He has changed me over the past 6 months or so. The girl that used to express things in as few words as possible is now overcome with eagerness to write, write, write. (Do not be confused. I have always liked to talked. The Van Dyke women have never had a problem in that area. But, I failed when it came to expressing thoughts in writing.) Now, I have the desire to write and figured, "why not start a blog and share my thoughts with others?" God teaches all of us so many things and I believe He wants us to share those things with others. A way to encourage those who are going through similar things. And, a way for others to hold us accountable and correct us when we may not be on target with His will. So, here I am. Sharing my thoughts with those who will listen. Grateful for the opportunity to be used by God, even in a small way.

I just finished reading through Ecclesiastes and the 24th verse of ch. 2 really got me thinking. "There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God." Within the past few months, I have really had a desire to not waste my life. I have tried to make sure I am living all for Christ, and not for myself. In our culture, we are constantly seeing people live out the idea that life is for our enjoyment. Everything I do is about me. If I am not happy, I must change my life in order to be happy, even if that means to live selfishly. How contrary to the gospel this is! My life should first, and foremost, be lived for Christ and then for those around me.

But, I have been so concerned about not living for myself, that I sometimes forget what Ecc. 2:24 says. God has given gifts of enjoyment, so it is o.k. for me to do things I enjoy doing. However, I must guard myself against getting too comfortable in that kind of lifestyle. Is it alright for me to do things I enjoy doing? Of course! God gives us gifts for our enjoyment and we are to be thankful for them. However, it is sinful when those things become priority and cause us to neglect God and neglect people. So, when reading Ecc. 2:24 (and the rest of the Scripture) I must do so in the context of the gospel. How do I enjoy God's gifts in a way that Christ and His Kingdom remain priority?

Jesus and Paul both speak about this concept (Luke 12:16-21, 1 Timothy 6:17-19). God has richly blessed us and has given us such a great opportunity! From His hand come many great gifts for our enjoyment. What better way is there to really enjoy His gifts than by sharing them with others?! Using God's gifts for our own personal enjoyment has no great purpose. Our lives should be lived in a way that is expanding the Kingdom and we cannot do that if we are only concerned with having fun and enjoying our God given gifts. By sharing our blessings with those around us, we are going beyond just enjoyment. We are spreading God's love and, ultimately, expanding His Kingdom. Now, THAT has great purpose! I am so thankful for the Lord's great blessings and pray that I am not only able to enjoy them myself, but share them with those around me with the hope that His Kingdom may be expanded through it.

May God be glorified in ALL that we do!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world that I have so sadly neglected for almost a year now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to reading about the things that God is teaching you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to be a part of your journey. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how He is working in your life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete