Monday, March 28, 2011

Finding Confidence in God's Plan

For almost a year now, I have been in the 'in between' phase in life. I am not a student any longer, but I still haven't made it into the working world. During the first several months I thought I had everything figured out. I thought I knew where my life was headed and had all these plans and dreams in my head. Of course, God reminded me that MY plans and MY dreams were just that, MINE. I had failed to recognize that I am not master of my life. Yes, I claimed the Lord was Master, but my focus was not really on HIS will. I was not really concerned with HIS plan for my life. So, when my plans and dreams were no longer plausible, my life turned upside down. As a result, my life was filled with uncertainty and no clear direction. This is not really my favorite position to be in. I don't need specific details of everything, but I like to at least have some sort of idea where my life is headed. But, God decided to leave me clueless, knowing I had much to learn about His perfect plan. For the past few months, (along with so many other things!) He has taught me a lot about this.

First, God's plan is for our good. In Romans 8:28, we are told God works everything out for our good. Does that mean everything is going to be peaches and butterflies?? Of course not. Look specifically at what it says, "...God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." ALL things. There are going to be tough, dark, lonely, sad times in life, but I can be confident that ALL of that is in accordance with God's will and ALL of that will ultimately be for my good. Jeremiah 29:11 says that God knows His plans for our lives and those plans will be for our good, not for our harm. I can rest assured that God's plans for my life really are best because Scripture testifies that fact. God's will really is for my good, and so much better than anything I could come up with myself.

Second, God's plan has already been set. God already knows what is going to happen and has already planned every little detail of our lives. In Isaiah 49:1, Isaiah said that God called him from the womb. Likewise, Paul said in Galatians 1:15 that God set him apart, "even from my mother's womb." And, don't forget Psalm 139:16, "Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not even one of them." Think about that for a minute. God knew all of our days, every little detail, even before we were born! Wow. Doesn't that just blow your mind?! Nothing escapes Him. He knows EVERYTHING, and has since before we even existed! Why can I have confidence in God's plan for my life? Because, He knows everything that will take place. He already has everything planned out. I can find comfort in the fact that He will lead me in the right direction because He knows what is coming.

Third, God's plan cannot be thwarted. Sometimes I think if I just pray hard enough or live my life in a certain way God will eventually change His mind and redirect His plan to fit in with my ideas. But, there is no use in trying to go against His plan. No matter what I try to do, God will not turn back His hand. He will not change what His will is for my life. I was reading Isaiah 14 today and was a bit punched in the face with verse 27, "For the Lord of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?" Upon more research, I came across many verses with this same truth. Job 42:2 says that God can do all things, and nothing can change His plan. Proverbs 21:30 says that nothing can succeed against the Lord. Daniel 4:35 says that God does what He pleases with people and no one is able to hold back His hand. Psalm 33:11 says that God's plans stand forever. I could go on, but I think the point is made clear. Nothing can stand against God's plans. Nothing I do will change what He has already planned to do. In fact, it is quite the opposite. God changes our plans (Job 5:12, Ps. 33:10, Prov. 19:21, Is. 8:10).

God is all-powerful and all-sovereign. Nothing can stand against Him. Nothing can turn back His hand. He is also a loving God who has the best in mind for His people. Because of this, we can be confident in His plan for our lives. We can completely put our trust in Him and completely give our lives to Him, because He already knows what is in store for us, something far beyond anything we could plan ourselves. We can live our lives in great hope, free from anxiety, knowing that He who created us will take care of us and will lead us in the right direction (Matt. 6:25-34).

As I look over the past year, and specifically the last six months, I cannot help but be so grateful God's plan prevailed. I see now how every little detail worked according to His perfect plan. He has orchestrated every event to bring about His will. And, boy, is it so much better than anything I had planned! Yes, these last months have been very difficult, full of darkness and loneliness and sadness. But, through all of this I have also experienced overwhelming joy and satisfaction in God and have grown so much closer to Him! I have also grown more than ever in maturity and wisdom (still have a long way to go!) and I am confident I never would have had my own plans taken place. Praise the Lord for His sovereignty and perfect will, saving us from our ill-conceived and mediocre plans! How amazing and fulfilling our lives become when we are seeking and living for His will and not our own! Thank you, sovereign Lord!

May God be glorified in ALL that we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment