Saturday, April 2, 2011

I Am Not Who I Was

Today, I heard the song "I'm Not Who I Was" by Brandon Heath and was hit by how important and deep that phrase is. I've heard the song plenty of times, but for some reason, today, those words overwhelmed me. I began to think of the different ways this statement is true in my life.

There is the obvious (and most important) meaning: I am not longer an orphan. I have been saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:8). My status has gone from orphan to child of God, a fellow heir with Christ (Rom. 8:12-17, Eph. 1:3-14). When I truly think about what that means, I am completely blown away! I am a CHILD of GOD! A fellow HEIR with CHRIST! The amount of gratitude I have for this cannot even be expressed. I was once a sinner, living in my depravity, completely separated from God, but because of Christ's sacrifice and faith (and only faith) in Him (and only Him) I have been saved and have become reconciled to God (Eph. 2:1-10).

I am no longer an orphan.

I am no longer dead.

I am not who I was.

There is another truth this statement holds for me. Through the process of sanctification, I am constantly changing. God is constantly working in my life, helping me to complete His will (Heb. 13:20-21). I have been called to live a life of holiness, continually growing in the Spirit (I Peter 1). Of course, I am still a sinner. So, I will continue to mess up and make mistakes. However, if I am ultimately keeping my focus on God and seeking His will I am able to continue to grow and become who He has intended me to be.

I see the most change in my life has taken place within the last year. I have been a Christian for many years, but this past year has really been a whirlwind of change for me. God has really opened up my heart and caused me such a passion for Him that I cannot help but be transformed. I have grown in maturity. I have grown in selflessness. I finally know what it means to have complete joy and satisfaction in Christ, something I never really grasped (and, something I still lack at times). I realize this is still a process. I realize there are still so many things I must learn and so many ways in which I must change. But, looking back at myself even a year ago, I can honestly say with great confidence and overwhelming gratitude: "I am not who I was!"

Praise You, Father, for changing who I am.

May YOU be glorified in ALL that I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment